Saturday, August 15, 2009

Double Duty: Scattered Showers

Yeah, I did it! I am so excited, I FINALLY figured out how to stamp with PTI's clear stamps! OK, so some of you are scratching your heads, going huh? What's the problem, I don't get it? But if I have some fellow acrylic challenged stampers out there like me, there is a funny story below for you and a tip.


I have had the Scattered Showers set for about a month now, and I could not for the life of me get a solid, crisp image. At first I thought it was surely the ink. I tried pigment ink, stayzon, chalk ink. Nope, none made a difference.

So I took a look at Nichole's blog and read her Acrylic Stamps 101 post. Oh.....OK, I have to "condition" them! Ah ha, that's it! So I get out my trusty white artist eraser and ever so gently rub over the stamp. I'm so excited. I'm finally going to get to use this fantastic set! I stamp my image, and....UGH! No, I'm sure this is not what it's supposed to look like. Just to make sure, I go and check out Dawn McVey's examples, and her's are sooo flawless! So on to tip #2, I wash it in warm soapy water. Of course, that's it! Noooow it's going to work. I ink it up and stamp and....NOPE! OK, now I'm thoroughly disgusted and put the set aside, as I am sure it has to be operator error at this point.

Then, last night, Papertrey Ink has a new release, and the sets are sooooo cute! But, of course, I'm acrylic stamp challenged. But I want those stamps! I HAVE to figure this out. So last night, I got out my set and every type of ink I own, and I was not going to get up until I figure this out! After about an hour, a ton of card stock, and much frustration...my mood is less than delightful and I begin to "condition" my stamp with that eraser like I am trying to erase it from existence. And you know what? After I stopped and calmed down a bit, I looked at that stamp and noticed it had a nice haze on it...it was no longer "tacky". HMMMMMM...out of curiosity, I ink it up and give it a try. OMG...this is it! It worked! I tried it a couple more times, just to make sure, and I am laughing hysterically at myself (as my husband watches me cautiously with phone in hand...just in case). Originally I was "conditioning" it too lightly. So if you are having issues like I was...try rubbing the eraser over the stamp with a little more vigor, you will see a nice haze on the stamp...this should give the ink enough grit to grab onto. Surely I can't be the only one out there that couldn't figure this out..or maybe I can be! LOL

Project Supplies

I Love You Rain or Shine
Paper: SU! Certainly Celery, Melon Mambo, and Whisper White card stock, Apricot Appeal designer paper
Ink: Black Stayzon; SU! Melon Mambo
Stamps: Papertrey Ink Scattered Showers
Accessories: SU! Certainly Celery ribbon, dimensionals, corner rounder; Martha Stewart border punch

So Happy For You
Paper: SU! Kraft, Whisper White, and Melon Mambo card stock
Ink: SU! Melon Mambo, Baja Breeze (retired), and Close to Cocoa
Accessories: SU! Melon Mambo ribbon, dimensionals; Papertrey Ink buttons, twine; Martha Stewart border punch

3 comments:

  1. Oh, so cute! I love the first one, the colors are great! I had the same issue with clear stamps when I started using them. I had to search the web for answers! Now I prefer clear stamps over wood mounted stamps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are freaking hilarious Dawn...LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! I had the same problem even after conditioning mine. My mini inks from PTI just wouldn't stamp evenly. I just kept at it and they started inking better. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest